Sunday 26 October 2014

Sunday bakes – Peachy hangover pie



This weekend I caught up with some university friends in London, so today it felt like a peach pie kind of a day. It’s a homey, sweet recipe that's perfect for the days when you are feeling a little bit less than shiny. 

To make the filling
Either 4 tins of peach halves or 4 peaches and 3 tins.
3 tablespoons of brown sugar
3 tablespoons of honey
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
Half tablespoon of ginger

For the pastry
Pack of short crust pastry
Milk for brushing
Light brown sugar for sprinkling over the top

I had half a punnet of peaches left that were looking the worse for wear and I supplemented them with three tins of peach halves in juice. 


Put all the peach pieces into a large saucepan and add the brown sugar, cinnamon, honey and ginger.
Simmer the peaches until the juice and the sugar have reduced down to a syrup.
I don’t tend to make my own pastry, if Mary Berry doesn’t think it’s necessary then who am I to argue, especially with a hangover. I blind baked the pastry in the dish for a few minutes before adding the filling.
For some reason when I do a flat top on pies they always go wrong, so now I like to get a bit more creative. Today I was starting to feel festive so I used my snowflake cutters and layered up the cut pieces to form a pie topping. Once all the pastry pieces were in place, brush them with milk and sprinkle with some light brown sugar. Bake in the oven until the pastry is golden brown.



Hangover doesn’t seem so bad now.

No comments:

Post a Comment