Wednesday 8 October 2014

Blushing bedroom

I bought my flat about four years ago and my parents and I (mostly my parents, thank you) spent a few months doing it up because it needed quite a bit of work. The only bits we kept were the bathroom, because it was new and inoffensive, the kitchen cabinets (we replaced the doors), and the cooker. We tore out the old heaters and carpet and started with a fresh slate.
I was extremely lucky when it came to furniture that my parents had kept a lot of my grandparent's teak furniture after they died. It was a great match for the style of my flat and as I have grown up my tastes have changed and I love my flat with my retro furniture, not least because my sideboard is the same one I used to get my Disney videos out of when I went to visit my Nanny and my dining table, with its three legged chairs, is the same one I wasn't allowed to sit on when I was little.
The theme colours of my spare room are teak, cream, blush and plum tying together the colours of my old room at my parents and the new furniture of my house.
My dressing table is an old G-plan dresser that was my grandma’s and it still has the original candle shape bulbs in the light sockets. I think they even still work!


In amongst my Grandma’s things I found an old watch, it is a clockwork wind up so it still works but the strap was broken. I loved the face so I decided to hang it from the bedside lamp so that I could use it as my bedside clock. 

 




















One of my favourite qualities of books is the smell and texture of the pages. They differ so much and you can tell a lot about the book from the paper it is made of. I didn’t want to only choose books with covers that complimented the room so I decided to reverse the books on my shelf so you can see the colours and texture of the pages. 


Over the years I have had some lovely ‘thought of you’ gifts, this birdcage was found by my mum as it was being thrown away. The suitcase turned up on my doorstep with a friend, at first I thought she was planning on staying longer than our girls evening but it turned out to be one of her grandparent’s and she thought it might go well in my house. I love them both, more so for the thought behind them.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment