Sunday 23 November 2014

Sunday bakes - Santa's spiced oat cookies



One of my favourite things about my kitchen is my cookbook collection. They’ve been gifts, picked up in various little shops and some of my favourites have been hand-me-downs from my family. This recipe came from one of those books and modified a little, it became one of my favourite recipes, mostly because my mum liked to keep healthy treats, like dried fruit, in the house instead of chocolates and sweets. This recipe let me make cookies out of the ingredients that we always had, whenever I had a sugar craving. 

Ingredients
8oz plain flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
2tsp cinnamon
1tsp of nutmeg (freshly grated)
½ tsp ginger
¼ tsp ground cloves
6oz margarine
7oz brown sugar
2 beaten eggs
Grated rind of one large orange
2tbsp fresh orange juice
6oz raisins
4oz oats

Method
Cream the sugar and margarine together, then add the beaten eggs. Mix in the rest of the ingredients and stir thoroughly. The mixture will be very sticky so spoon onto a sheet of baking paper. The mixture won’t spread or melt very much so make sure you are happy with the size and shape, then put in an oven at 190 for 15 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
The orange and the cinnamon are really fragrant and your house will smell Christmassy for hours after you take these out of the oven. I can't even tell you how good these are, you just have to try them for yourself. But they come with a warning, self control will go out the window once you've had one.


No comments:

Post a Comment