Sunday 2 November 2014

Sunday bakes – Mistake cake



Today I made my mistake cake, which is my ‘signature bake’. It may come as no surprised to hear that this cake originated from a mistake that I made. This recipe started out as a Jane Asher cake but it went awry one day when I was making a birthday cake for a friend. My housemate and boyfriend were both talking at me in my teeny-tiny kitchen and in my confusion and haste I threw the cake into the oven and went out for a walk while it was baking. I was halfway around the block before I realised that I had forgotten to put the flour in.
I took the cake to the party anyway and it turned out to be such a success that someone literally licked the plate (and the baking paper it was wrapped in). So now it’s one of my favourite recipes. It is incredible rich and chocolaty but at the same time light and gooey, a bit like a mousse or soufflé.  


Ingredients
150g/5oz Margarine
150g Caster sugar (plus 50g, put to one side)
7 eggs – separated
175g dark chocolate
Cream the margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy then mix in the separated egg yolks. 

Melt the dark chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of hot water until just melted. Mix the melted chocolate into the eggs sugar mix.


Whisk the egg whites up until they form soft peaks then slowly add the 50g of caster sugar and whisk to stiff peaks.
Mix the two together gently but thoroughly, taking care not to knock out too much of the air.
Pour the mixture into a papered cake tin and bake for 30 minutes at 190 or until the skewer comes out clean.
Once baked all the way through, leave the cake in the tin for a while, it’s very soft and holds it shape better if it cools in the tin.
You can top the cake with whatever you like, I have tried chocolate ganache which has worked well but my favourite is plain cocoa powder. The slight bitterness works well with the very sweet, rich cake. 


No comments:

Post a Comment