Sunday 31 January 2016

Sunday bakes - 'Packing up the old' Pear and almond scones

It's time for a spring clear out. Perhaps a little early, but if the weather is ready to move on from winter, so am I. I've been boxing and bag things for the charity shop for months and it's time to get it all out of my house and have a fresh start. So to go with my domestic fresh start, here's a fresh recipe that I tasted in Dublin last year at Avoca. I'm not sure of their own recipe, but this is my attempt.


Ingredients
130g butter
400g plain flour
100g ground almonds
1tsp baking powder
65g caster sugar
1 can of pears in juice (not syrup) - chop into cubes
1 large egg, beaten
80ml milk
100ml of the pear juice
1 vanilla pod
a few drops of almond essence
some flaked almonds for the top

Method
Rub the butter, flour and baking powder into bread crumbs before stirring in the egg, sugar, vanilla and almond essence. Add the pears and mix thoroughly before adding the milk and juice mixture a little by little. The mixture can't be too wet so you might not need to add all the milk/juice.

Spoon onto a baking tray and sprinkle in flaked almonds and bake at 170 for twenty minutes until lightly brown. Dust lightly with icing sugar.



No comments:

Post a Comment