Saturday 25 April 2015

Remembering Patan



So a few weeks ago I mentioned a print by an artist, Chitra Merchant, that I have bought it for my living room. 


One of the reasons I loved the print so much was that it reminded me of my last night in Nepal, in Bhaktapur, Patan square, Kathmandu. Today I woke up to the awful news that Kathmandu had been hit by a huge earthquake and one of my favourite places, Patan/Durbar square was effectively gone. The friend we had gone out to visit is still out there and was actually living in Patan at the time the earthquake hit so the pictures of the flattened square really scared me. She was ok, she’s with her family. I know that many many people are have been hurt and killed and still more are missing so all my thoughts are there with them. 



















Patan was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been and now, with who knows what damage done and some heritage lost forever, my photos and memories are all the more important to me. Here are just a few of my favourites, I’m going to keep hoping that we’ve seen the worst of the damage and the death toll doesn’t get any higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment