Sunday 11 January 2015

Sunday bakes - 'cure my cold' crumble



Very belated Happy New Year to you all.

Last year was a long and tiring year and Turner and I are exhausted!



In addition I have a horrid cold so I’m afraid I've been really lax with the blog and my Sunday baking. But my decorations are down and a year of bad luck has been avoided. So, as we say every year, next year will be better. 

 
Number one on the 2015 agenda is shaking this cold, which actually works quite well for number two, being healthy. It’s citrus fruits and vitamin C all round, starting with oranges and grapefruits and lemon tea.

So for today’s Sunday bake I am doing a fruit crumble from the piles of frozen berries in my freezer.

It doesn’t sound very glamorous but it is honestly delicious. 


Ingredients

1 mug of raw oats

1 tbsp of glace ginger

2 tbsp sliced raw almonds

2 tbsp cinnamon

2 tsp honey

175grams frozen cherries

175grams frozen raspberries

½ an eating apple

100ml diet ginger beer


Method

Spread the oats, almonds, ginger, cinnamon and honey on a baking tray and roast in the oven on a low heat until the oats are golden brown. 



Put the berries into a saucepan with the diet ginger beer and cook on a low heat until the liquid starts to turn into a syrup and then add the apple, sliced. Cook until the apple is a little softened but still has a little bite.

The topping will have gone crispy where the honey pooled and you can snap the topping into crunchy fragments. Sprinkle the topping over the fruit and eat while it is still hot.
I’m not going to say it’s a ‘healthy’ dessert because sugar is still sugar but it’s a healthier dessert, full of fruit and oats.


No comments:

Post a Comment